Monday, June 21, 2010

Skating and Bowling

Anyone remember the skating centers we had here in the 80's...Kendall Skating Center, Kendale Lakes Skating Center...I know there were more. but those were the ones I went to.  If I remember correctly, Kendall SC was over there by the Falls (or where the Fall is now).  Alot of fun times were spent there.  I know there is at least one skating center out in the Sabal Chase area, but the thought of ever going there makes me ill.  Same for the ice skating center - in the Hammocks.  Ugh, ugh, ugh.  Speaking of the Falls, I miss the way that place used to be.  The original design of all the waterfalls, ponds and flowing "rivers" was so nice.  Now...it's "meh".  Overpriced stores, but at least it's still outdoors.  I'd rather go there than Dadeland, Cutler Ridge (Yes, dammit. I said Cutler RIDGE!), or points north.

And what about all the bowling alleys we had!  ALL of them are gone now except for Bird Bowl, and my passport is expired so I can't go there.  Even Paula Carter's in Homestead has been gone for a while now.  Imagine Homestead with no bowling alley.  Bizarre.  But there is a bowling alley, kind of, in South Miami...in Sunset Place.  I've checked it out and it is very cool, but not the typical laid back place that I miss.  And only a handful of lanes, if I remember correctly.  Seems to be more a place to drink and socialize for the younger crowd.

My old bowling alleys were for drinking and socializing, too, but for everyone- young and old.  And leagues.  Whatever happened to leagues?

*sigh*  I miss those old alleys....

5 comments:

Kathy - mom of many said...

I started bowling on a league at Bird Bowl at age five. It's been a longtime activity of mine. Bowled in highschool and then as an adult on a weekday league for women.
I remember that Homestead bowling alley, too, because I lived in Homestead my senior year. My dad bowled at a place in the Gables called The Coliseum on Douglas Rd. They had the best hot dogs I've ever tasted.

Unknown said...

The bowling alley on Kendall and 137 th Don Carters is gone now too, been about 6 years now. I went to classes across the street on the west side at National School of Technology and graduatedin 2005 and they were ripping it down, funny now that I am going to sell my bowling ball and shoes in a yard sale next month

La La La Linda said...

What I wouldn't give for one more hour at Kendall Skating Center...

Anonymous said...

La la, you don't nothing about the S..M DJ'S FEATURING TI...NY HEAD!!!

Anonymous said...

What was the name of the bowling alley 118th and Bird Road …