Tuesday, July 20, 2010

By Request, Suniland Park

ghostwriter33156 wanted to know about Suniland Park.  I took the following information straight from the Village of Pinecrest's website:

An active ten acre park with multipurpose athletic fields (baseball and football), batting cages, a recreation center, basketball courts, a Wi-Fi Spot in the gazebo, and a tot lot.



In 1916, Miami-Dade County purchased a five acre parcel called Rock Pit #21 and, in 1938, added 3.5 acres and dedicated the land for park use. On September 8, 1962, the county officially agreed to develop the property with athletic facilities including baseball and football fields and basketball courts and the modern-day Suniland Park was established. In 1999, the facility was deeded by the county to the Village of Pinecrest. The park was completely redeveloped during 2002-2003. The $1.6 million improvements to the park included a new building and gazebo, enhancements to the basketball courts and fields, a new jogging/walking path, and lighting upgrades.

The address is 12855 US 1 (South Dixie Highway, Pincrest Parkway...).

Below are some bad shots I took on the way home this evening of the park.

Below are some pictures of the "Publix" side of Suniland Mall.  Red Balloon (my most favorite store ever growing up) is looooong gone, as is the theater.

 
 The Publix is now a Whole Foods, but I LOVE that they kept the original building front.




4 comments:

ghostwriter33156 said...

THANK YOU!

Kathy - mom of many said...

I remember The Red Balloon toy store. What a great place, nothing like it. I had a game called Barnabas Collins that came from there. It was a game of skeleton pieces you had to collect to put together the skeleton. The pieces glowed in the dark. Fun and creepy for a young girl like I was.

Anonymous said...

My brothers and I played baseball there from the late 60's to the mid 70's. I remember the big rocket ship slide over in the play area. Played my first game of spin the bottle there during one of my brother's night games! Walking over to the Burger King for lunch was a big treat. Great park and great memories!!

Mickey Shaine said...

I remember Sunniland well. Lived at Continental Park and played little league baseball there in the 60s. Loved going out for dinner at the Flame Restaurant in Sunniland.