Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Key Biscayne

Remember Crandon Park Zoo? I used to beg my parents to take me there! Of course, the Seaquarium is still there. I used to know we were getting close when I'd see the shark in the cage as you approach the tollbooth. I think they changed it to dolphins or something now. Wusses...

My parents had friends who lived on Key Biscayne, and I remember to get to their house, we'd drive by Richard Nixon's place. It had a helipad out back...big white house. I've tried recently to find it again, but whoever owns it now must've done some major remodeling because I can't find it. When/if I do, I'll post the address here for anyone interested.

Further down from Crandon, at the end of the island, is Cape Florida. Hurricane Andrew did a number on that place! It used to be lined with big old Australian pines. Not native, but pretty, and the wind sounds cool blowing through their needles. They are all gone now, and though in it's more natural state, Cape Florida just isn't the same. Little shade, and very crowded! The lighthouse has been repainted back to it's original color - white. When I was growing up, it was natural red brick. You can still see what remains of Stiltsville when you look across the Bay...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes my goodness!! ny family is 5th generateion hollywood fl but with ALOT of attachment to miami and jackson memorial the fountainblue and miami beach. also graduated from UM come visit us on FB i posted your blog on my wall thank you so much

Floridahistoryhunter said...

Dang, I had forgotten about the sharks in the cage at the seaquarium.

Unknown said...

Restaurant at the Falls over the water was coasters. They had the best rum runners outside of the Tiki Bar